Monday, September 24, 2007

How should we pray?

a question from Jennifer on prayer:

Are we supposed to pray for protection for ourselves and our loved ones? Is it wrong to? Is there an example in the Bible where someone asks for protection? Not from sin, but from hurt or death. If we are not supposed to fear death and are supposed to want to be with Him in heaven...then why would we pray a prayer that, if honored, would leave us or our loved one here even longer? Is that not selfish? I guess it is sort of along the whole mourning thing. Where we aren't to be sad, but joyful when a loved one goes home to Christ. As I examine how Christ taught us to pray in the Lord's prayer I don't see where he shows us the example of praying for protection. Does that make sense? Any thoughts??

Jennifer, thank you for your question regarding prayer. Given some of the recent messages on God's sovereignty, you're asking some natural and good questions. I don't believe it's wrong at all to pray for protection. Our Lord's Gethsemane prayer began with "Abba! Father! All things are possible for You; remove this cup from me......" It seems that Christ wished to somehow be spared the terrible suffering of the cross. But then His prayer continued..."yet not what I will, but what you will." His wonderful prayer for deliverance was not sinful or selfish......it was human.....and it was so appropriately coupled with the "Your will over mine" burden. That should be the heart of our prayer as we ask for protection from injury and death that we BEG for God's will to be satisfied and His glory to be manifest....whatever the cost. While the Lord's Prayer is a wonderful tutor on prayer, it's not the only tutor.

Also consider Paul's thorn in the flesh. Paul prayed fervently that God would remove the thorn of suffering and there's no indication that Paul erred in this request. In fact, it was through prayer that Paul was made aware that God had a higher plan for His own glory and Paul's humility. God seems to leave the thorn wonderfully ambiguous so we can insert our own "thorn" and walk away with Paul's bitter/sweet lesson.

Jennifer, whatever your thorn or cup, pray fervently asking for protection and deliverance......and couple that prayer with a deep burden for His glory and His will and your instrumentation in the work of glory, whatever the cost. That's an appropriate robust prayer of a believer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus prayed for protection over his disciples in John 17. It appears that the protection Jesus prayed for was more spiritual than physical in nature, but I suppose it could be interpreted both ways.

"I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name - the name you gave me - so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled."
John 17:9-12