Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A note on "lingering"

Crosspoint friends/family,

I read a devotional by John Piper recently that’s stuck with me through this sermon series. The title of the devotional is “A Word on Poetry” and in it he encourages scripture-driven truth-fueled expression of Christ in verse. His observations would apply to song or art or free verse or dance or whatever “artistic” worship we might imagine. One line in this devotional reads “So quickly do we pass over hard words and painful stories in the Bible. The poet lingers. And looks. And looks. And looks at this dark spot. Until he weeps and rages and then, perhaps, sees.”

As we’ve knelt with Mary in John 12, I can’t help but think she would have been a wonderful poet! For she lingers……and looks……and seems to really see when nobody else was listening. In an effort to linger, I’ve challenged myself and a young man I’m discipling to express in writing our enjoyment of Christ. Together we’re fighting and raging for delight in our Lord who’s so worthy of enjoyment. In the spirit of David, who was quite manly mind you, I’m posting my worship here and inviting others to share their “outloud” worship with me. It may be song, free verse, poetry or whatever……but we’ll offer up a symphony of satisfaction that will be as worship should be…..public.

Jesus, honey drips from your lips
Your words are salve for my wounds.
Lord, the contours of your moves
are distinct enough for enjoyment.

Fix my eyes on your shape and your essence
Fix my eyes on your words and your work
Fix my eyes on your people and your promises
Fix my eyes on your majesty and beauty

And with my eyes on you,
Perfect me, even me.
With my eyes on you,
Author your glory in me.

Oh Lamb, may I cup your feet and spend my fragrance?
How I would treasure that lingering memory.
My Lion, may I prepare you for your burial?
Knowing, with you, it’s only temporary.

What a delight you are….what a treasure you are…..what a wonder you are….
How worthy are you….how beautiful are you……how matchless are you….Your grace is ineffable, indescribable, incalculable, inestimable.



Lord, I pray that you’ll find us lingering today. I pray that you’ll fix our eyes on your Christ so we look and look and perhaps, see the wonders of this Lord! I pray that you’ll pry us from the cares of the world and deceitfulness of riches and point us on the Person and work of Christ. I pray that we’ll linger on His contours and words and works and movements so that we can delight in His beauty. I pray these things confessing that we can’t muster enjoyment but it’s a gift from you…..I beg for this enjoyment in your Son…..praying in His wonderful Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Todd Hackney said...

My King

My King came to die for me. My King came to earth and was both fully man and fully God. My King has no limits he cannot be contained. If he decides that it should be then it will be. He is full of compassion, pity, love, mercy, kindness, and forgiveness. He heals the blind, the deaf, the sick, the possessed, and the dying. He loves every man without prejudice. He also forgives every man who is willing to admit that he has done wrong. My King has unimaginable power. He can walk on water, speak and the wind and rain obey his commands, turn water into wine, feed thousands with only a few loaves of bread and a couple of fish. He can even take a man who has been dead and decaying for days and speak his name and raise him up from his grave to live once again. My King died for me so that I may know his love for me and so that my many sins could be forgiven. For he was the ultimate perfect sacrifice. He is unblimished and not one flaw is found in him. For this perfection he was crucified to save my life. I did not deserve this but for what he did I am thankful. I will never be able to repay him but I will always love him and have faith that he will be there for me in the good times and the bad. For my King, my Lord, my Savior is the love of my life and he is what I desire.